Friday, May 4, 2012

Establishing Personal Global Contacts and Expanding Resources - Wk 1




This has been an interesting week in trying to establish personal global contacts and expanding resources.  I have spoken to several volunteers and parents from other countries.  It has been interesting to hear their stories of early childhood education in their countries.  In Russia, for example, children begin "kindergarten" at age 2.  They are in school all day because their parents are working.  The first couple of years are like our daycare system in the United States.  At ages 4-5 they begin to study in preparation for school.  At one time it was free.  Now it is very expensive and there is competition to try and get your child into the program.  



Early Childhood Education


I am also talking to one of our parents from Poland.  Her mother-in-law is the director of a kindergarten there.  I look forward to hearing what she has to say as well.


As I expected, early childhood education is nonexistent in Rwanda because of the civil war going on.  Survival is the education of the families there now.
Children of all nations deserve the right to learn
I have also contacted via email several of the resources listed in our resource section.  To date I have not gotten any response from individuals or organizations that were suggested to us.  I cannot wait to read other blogs and hear about how you are able to contact people from other countries.


I have been reading articles from Pre[K]Now: A Campaign of the Pew Center on the States.  I have been a part of the improvement system in Virginia for early childhood education.  In many ways we are in the infant stage of developing quality child care birth to five.  There is still a great deal to be completed.  As I expected, California, Texas, Florida and New Jersey are leaders in this field.  I know that North Carolina is developing a great program as well.  It has several great articles about early childhood education.  The Pew Center is a research, evidence based program that helps states look at their policies and procedures.
We can all learn together!


I am also beginning to study the Association for Childhood Education International.  There are several links within the site to countries' programs, policies, and procedures.   "Our mission is to promote and support the optimal education and development of children worldwide, and to influence the professional growth of educators and the efforts of others who are committed to the needs of children in a changing society. We have consultative status with the United Nations." (ACEI)  Each month there is a focus on a particular country and the issues that they working on.


References

Association for Childhood Education International



International Society of Early Interventionhttp://depts.washington.edu/isei/ )

Pre[K]Now: A Campaign of the Pew Center on the States
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/initiatives_detail.aspx?initiativeID=31672(Newsletter: http://www.preknow.org/signupform.cfm )



4 comments:

  1. Carol,
    What a fantastic post. I have not had any luck with the resources provided in making contact with global professionals either. I am keeping my fingers crossed that some of my personal contacts will know someone outside of the US that I can collaborate with. I have a few good leads, but no communication has taken place yet. Good luck to you in making additional contacts.

    I too have looked at several of the website and have registered to receive their newsletters. I am looking forward to gaining additional information about each program and how they promote education for children around the world. You have already gained great information about other countries and their education. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, it seems you have been very busy! This is a great post. I have not yet had luck with the provided resources either. It sounds like you have some wonderful connections set up, and I cannot wait to read more.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carol,
    It seems like you are a great advocate for children! It is such a great idea to ask the parents about the educational system in their countries. I will too ask my parents to see if they can help or put me in touch with a professional they might know from their country. I too haven't heard from the professionals and the websites I have contacted. But I will try to schedule interviews with some of my parents soon. Thanks for the great idea! and good luck with your contacts!

    Maryam

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to have parents from other countries that can offer assistance with how their educations system works. Like you, I am still waiting to hear back from some of the countries that were recommended to us. I can't wait to learn more about their education systems.

    I also look forward to hearing more from you and all the great things you are doing in VA. Here in GA were are working towards getting our early care programs on a better page but it is taking some time. I can't wait to hear the great things you guys are doing up there.

    ReplyDelete