Friday, February 8, 2013

Using Nonviolent Communication in the Workplace


Using Nonviolent Communication in the Workplace
            I have recently returned to work after being out for three months as a result of a car
accident.  Because I am still receiving two hours of physical therapy twice a week, I am only working part time.  I could sense some tension between myself and my co-coordinator.  I went to this person and asked if something was bothering him.  I listened while he explained the frustration that he felt because he and another coordinator had been taking on some of my responsibilities while I was out (The Third Side, n.d.).  He was worn out and hoping that I would have come back full time when I returned to work so that he could return to only his responsibilities.  I rephrased what he said to make sure that I understood him correctly.  I explained the reason for not returning to full time work at this time.  I also asked him what I might be able to do to help him feel more at ease.  He asked if I could begin doing one of the tasks that he was doing for me.  I agreed to reclaim that particular task.  I could see his demeanor change almost immediately.  Since that conversation, we are getting along well and joking with each other which we normally do.  By using some of the skills from nonviolent communication, we were able to have a dialog that was constructive and which gave both parties equal power.  We were able to attack the problem instead of each other (Conflict Resolution Network, n.d.).
            I am wondering if any of my colleagues have recently had success using these techniques and what you found the end result to be.  Are you feeling more at peace?  Can you feel the need for dominance dissipate?
References
Conflict Resolution Network. (n.d.). CR kit.  Retrieved from
The Third Side. (n.d.). The third side. Retrieved from http://www.thirdside.org.

5 comments:

  1. This was a significant conflict issue, and you managed it so well. Can you imagine what the tension would have been like if the discussion had turned aggressive? Good example, and nicely done, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this colleague and I have differences of opinion frequently. I decided this time to try a different approach. It felt good. I can't say that initially I will use NVC in all circumstances, but I am going to try and incorporate it more into my daily living.

      Delete
  2. oops, I accidentally logged in under my husband's ID (stephenholt). The above comment was from Allison Holt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol,
    Nonviolent communication helps to create open communication. When people are more respectful of others and avoid offensive language, they are better able to resolve conflicts. I like the way that you handled the situation at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are better and able to return to work. Nonviolent communication helps to resolve conflict that we may face at some point and time on the job. I think the way you handled the situation on your job was great and in a clam manner. You were able to solve the issue with good communication skills and your were also able to avoid conflict in the process. Hope all continues to go well for you and I want to wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete