Saturday, February 2, 2013

Perceptions and How they Affect Our Lives


Perceptions and How They Affect Our Lives
            This week’s exercises were a great way to examine the perceptions that we have of ourselves and others and how others perceive us.  The one thing that surprised me the most about my communication skills is that I am moderately verbally aggressive (Rubin, Palmgreen & Sypher, 2009).  Everyone, including myself, scored me in the moderate range for verbal aggression.  In thinking about myself, I do not perceive myself as being verbally aggressive at all.  I try to be respectful of the people to whom I am talking.  I had not considered the passion that I have for early childhood as making me come across as aggressive. 
            I also found out that I have more communication anxiety at work than I do at home according to a couple of my teachers.  I think that this might be because the expectations at work are much higher than they are when I am with my family.  Family generally accepts you for who you are.  Sometimes at work not all information is shared.  When I share information that I have received with staff,  there are generally more questions that arise.  This causes me to experience anxiety as I share information with staff.  In the future I will ask more questions to gain clarity about information that is to be shared with staff.  I will wait to share information with my staff until I have all of the information that I need in order to accurately communicate it.  I will also share the information in a variety of formats instead of just talking so that everyone clearly understands the information.  Putting the information in an agenda type format would be helpful for people who are visual learners.
            I wish that I could sing every message that I have to say to others.  Unfortunately, this is not possible.  Moving forward, I will strive to lift up my staff in their interactions with each other to build their self-esteem and relationship as a team.  This will strengthen our program as a whole.  I will also spend more time listening so that I can give them the tools they need in the classroom to help the children and families achieve success as well.  I will also be mindful of my voice and tone (O’Hair & Wiemann, p. 137-138, 2012) when speaking so that I do not offend or put people on the defensive as I explain my passion about early childhood education or any other topic for which I have passion.
References

3 comments:

  1. Carol,

    I too experience anxiety during question and answers sessions. In my mind it is the same as extemporaneous speaking, which is not my strong suit. I have found that the most effective remedy for this type of situational anxiety is to prepare as much as possible before the meeting. And, give yourself permission to not know all the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    As educators, we have to be careful not to allow perceptions to affect our communication with diverse parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol,

    My results from the communication aggressiveness inventory indicated that I also had a moderate level of communication agressiveness. I know that I am not an agressive person or communicator. I felt that this moderate level meant that when you do argue (arguing can be positive) that you use facts to support what you trying to share.

    I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete