Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making a Difference in Early Childhood

"When two groups or two people have different ways of guiding children's behavior, instead of judging right or wrong, both sides must first try to understand those differences and where they come from.  Are they cultural, familial, individual or do they come from something else?"  Janet Gonzales-Mena from an article titled "Diversity and Discipline" 2009, November

This quote is important to me because where I work, there is wide diversity in cultures and ethnicity.  Taking the time to listen to the other people's perspective helps me to widen my view of the world and how what we do and say is perceived.  In order to help children achieve success, we have to be willing to see ideas from different angles.

"I always wanted to be a teacher.  ...  I had a passion to fix injustices in the world. ...I love children."  Louise Derman-Sparks (Laureate Education, 2010)

I can relate so well to Ms. Derman-Sparks comment about always wanting to be a teacher.  I am attracted to children, and they are equally attracted to me.  I'm not sure why, but I knew that I needed to work with children from a very early age.  My brother was not treated very well in the school division in which we grew up.  It has taken him a long time to grow his self-confidence.  It wasn't until he was about 40 that he came into his own because of things that were said to him as a child by his teachers.  At 55, he has begun to share more and more about the injustices he perceived as he went through the school system.

"As an administrator, I cam make a bigger impact for change by shaping programs that will benefit children."  Raymond Hernandez (Laureate Education, 2010)

Now I am an administrator.  I don't get as much direct contact with the children as I did when I was teaching.  I do, however, see the impact that I make on our program as together we discuss changes that we need to make to improve a really good program.  I am glad that I have that opportunity now.


1 comment:

  1. You are at such an advantage. Your experience with children will be a valuable resource as you play the role of administrator. You are able to have on open mind when issues are presented to you and your experience helps you to be non-judgemental because of your career background.
    The quotes are very informative...thankyou.

    ReplyDelete